Monday, August 3, 2009

Contemplating the future


My son says he is an atheist! When did that happen? I am not sure what to say really. He is too young to be cynical but is that what he is? I have not imposed religion on him or his brother and neither has their dad. Yet it is worrisome that he does not believe in a higher force of some kind to explain what I feel sure must be so confusing at times for him. Or maybe it is just confusing for me? I have been more spiritual in recent years than since I was a teen when I identified as a "Jesus Christ Superstar" follower. It made sense to me and believe me the 70's were quite difficult for teens. I am not sure what if anything I can offer Vince that might help him open some possibilities for spiritual practice. Love and compassion I do show him and I guess that will have to do for now.

3 comments:

  1. His choice may seem upsetting because of the fear that may be instilled in you from your former spiritual upbringing. Is your fear based upon anything tangible? Or is it superstitious belief, like one will be damned to Hell if they aren't baptized, for example. Ultimately, it is his choice.

    There isn't always evidence for everything, and yet it may exist. In a pristine outdoor setting, casually bring up the "presence" in nature that one feels, but cannot explain. I think it's good to believe in something--even if we don't fully understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fear is totally founded on the idea that he may be missing a very important tool to make sense of the world and bring peace to his soul in times of trouble. I use this tool almost daily and it truly has made a difference for me in my life, especially when I have had difficult losses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big questions here! I've dealt with a lot of these issues with one of my kids *ahem* who was born a skeptic, and has always taken a very practical, scientific look at life. I think teenage-hood is a prime time for being skeptical, and questioning what you've been told all your life.

    My take with my kid is to respect that this is where he is right now. And to tell him what my faith does for me--and how I think it helped his grandparents survive some fairly traumatic life experiences. And tell him I hope he'll keep his mind open to the possibility of feeling different some day.

    But it worries me too.

    On a completely different note, I dashed away from the park yesterday without telling you to have a great trip! (I didn't realize you were going so soon, until the subject of the Boardwalk came up.) I hope you all have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete